How you can help empower the lives of people with epilepsy!
Empowering Epilepsy is a new non profit 501(c)3 organization whose mission is to enable people with epilepsy to take charge of their lives. We provide support groups, conferences, events and resources to empower the lives of people living with epilepsy and their families in Northeastern Ohio.
We are looking for volunteers to help us spread the word about Empowering Epilepsy’s programs and services as well as volunteer in a variety of capacities to help make our programs and events successful.
Ways to volunteer with Empowering Epilepsy include:
1. March 23, 2017 in Cleveland or March 26, 2017 in Akron- Purple Day Party – annual event held at Freeway Lanes of Solon to celebrate Purple Day – an international epilepsy awareness day. Participants enjoy 2 hours of bowling, all they can eat pizza, wings and soft drinks and the chance to meet others who understand epilepsy. Average attendance = 100 people. This is the first year for our Akron event for Sunday, March 26, 2017.
- We need helpHelp with sponsors
- Help market the event – posting flyers in local venues like Coffee shops, Panera’s, Community Centers, etc.
- Volunteer at registration table (hours are 4:00 – 6:45 and 6:45 – 8:45 on March 23, 2017).
2. Empowering Epilepsy Gift Bags for Epilepsy Monitoring Units
Empowering Epilepsy Gift Bags are created for patients staying for 3 or more days in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit of the following hospitals: Akron Children’s Hospital, Akron General, Cleveland Clinic (Pediatric and Adult) and University Hospitals (Pediatric and Adult).
- We need volunteers to help purchase art therapy coloring books and colored pencils, create and sew cervical neck pillows, and help organize the gift bags so we can deliver them. So far, we have donated 25 gift bags to each hospital.
3. Volunteer at local Health and Wellness Fairs throughout the year and provide information to visitors – Part of our mission is to educate the general public about what epilepsy is, what to do if a seizure takes place, and connect with people who feel isolated and alone while living with epilepsy. We attend a variety of Health and Wellness Fairs in the Cleveland and Akron areas and are affiliated with most local hospitals. Just let us know your availability.
4. Join our Event Planning Board – help us plan Empowering Epilepsy Annual events including our Purple Day Party, Valentine’s Day Party/Fundraiser, Golf Outing, Art Therapy Classes, and more.
5. Help circulate flyers to advertise various events at local libraries, Panera’s, Starbucks, community centers, etc.
6. Golf Outing – Assist with recruiting golfers, sponsors, silent auction donations or creating silent auction gift baskets. Also help with invitation mailings.
7. November Epilepsy Awareness Month – help create and organize a memorable and fun event for people with epilepsy and their families. We are trying a pottery party this year.
8. Fundraising efforts – help with annual campaign and connecting Empowering Epilepsy to individuals, foundations and companies throughout Northeast Ohio.
9. Assist with creating informational videos to educate the public about epilepsy.
10. Assist with Quickbooks and accounting information to help manage Empowering Epilepsy financials.