Programs and Services
Empowering Epilepsy offers a variety of programs and services to help people with epilepsy and their families in Cleveland and Northeast Ohio.
- Empowering Epilepsy Support Groups with Restorative Yoga in Northeast Ohio that take place monthly in Beachwood, Fairlawn (Akron), Parma, Westlake, and Youngstown.
- Purple Day® Party that takes place on or around March 26 in Solon, Ohio and Akron, Ohio. Purple Day® was founded by then 9 year old Cassidy Megan in Canada to help promote epilepsy awareness. Our next Purple Day® Party will take place on Thursday, March 22, 2018 in Solon, and Sunday, March 25, 2018 in Akron.
- Pottery Painting Parties in November to celebrate Epilepsy Awareness Month in Brecksville, Fairlawn, and Lyndhurst, Ohio.
- Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon Team – a combination of a fundraiser for Empowering Epilepsy, plus a way to show people with epilepsy what they can do by allowing them to join our team and race in either the 5K, 8K, 10K, Half Marathon, or Full Marathon. The next Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon will take place from May 18 – 20. To join our team by choosing Empowering Epilepsy Team, and receive a 10% discount on your registration by entering the code: EECHARITY10.
- Empowering Through the Arts Art Therapy Program – A 6 week art therapy program that allows people who understand epilepsy to illustrate their artistic flare and discover what they can do while living with epilepsy. Art Therapy is engaging in the creation of art, facilitated by a registered art therapist to help with physical and emotional healing and expression. It allows inner feelings to take a visual form, and can help with pain management, anxiety and self-esteem. This program was made possible by the generous support of Cuyahoga County Residents through a public grant from Cuyahoga Arts and Culture that was matched by the Dennis and Judy Engel Charitable Foundation and the Charles R. Jelm Foundation. This program is a collaborative project between Empowering Epilepsy, Art Therapy Studio, Cleveland Clinic Arts and Medicine Institute, and The Music Settlement.
- Empowering Epilepsy: Empower Your Life Conference with speakers that included a neurologist, a neuropsychologist, a civil rights attorney, a social security disability attorney and a special education attorney speaking on ways to live well with epilepsy.
- Empowering Epilepsy also talks to people experiencing epilepsy on an individual basis helping them to find ways to live well with epilepsy outside of their neurologist’s office. We receive patient referrals from neurologists to help educate people on ways to live well even though they are experiencing epilepsy, which can be debilitating for some.